AASCO logo

  • Rich Guggenheim, Nursery, Seed & Phyto Program Manager
    Division of Plant Industry
    Colorado Department of Agriculture
    305 Interlocken Parkway
    Broomfield, CO 80021
    T: 303-869-9070
    F: 303-239-4177
    E: rich.guggenheim@state.co.us

  • Randy Crowl, Manager
    Colorado Seed Laboratory
    Department of Soil & Crop Sciences
    Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1170
    T: 970-491-6406
    F: 970-491-1173
    E: randy.crowl@colostate.edu

  • Don Brown, Commissioner
    Colorado Department of Agriculture
    305 Interlocken Parkway
    Broomfield, CO 80021
    T: 303-869-9004
    F: 303-466-2867

  • Rick Novak, Seed Certification Manager
    Colorado Seed Growers Association
    Department of Soil & Crop Sciences
    Colorado State University
    Fort Collins, CO 80523-Plant Sciences C-143
    T: 970-491-6202
    F: 970-491-1173

The following responses are provided by the Colorado Department of Agriculture in regard to general questions about the Colorado State Seed Law.

- Does your state seed law model RUSSL?
Answer = YES

- Does your state law have a permit/license requirement for seedsmen to distribute seeds in your state?
Answer = YES, Seed labeler: $300/year; Retail Dealer: $50/year; Seed Conditioner: $300/year; Farmer Seed Labeler: $75/year.

- Does your state offer "Seed Arbitration" as a part of your seed law, or as a separate law?
Answer = YES, as part of the seed law.

- If yes, is it mandatory?
Answer = YES, If the proper statement is on the label, yes - it would be mandatory.

- Do you allow the use of the arbitration label notice as referenced in RUSSL?
Answer = NO

- If no, what is the required language of your label notice?
Answer = Notice of required arbitration: Under the Colorado Seed Act, arbitration is required as a prerequisite to certain legal actions, counterclaims, or defenses against a seller of seed. Information about this requirement may be obtained from the Colorado Commissioner.

- Does your arbitration law have any unique or special requirements?
Answer = NO

- Does your state have "pre-emption" legislation to restrict local political subdivisions from regulating seed?
Answer = NO

- Does your law allow for "brand name" labeling?
Answer = NO

- Does your state seed law require "mandatory" variety labeling for agricultural crop kinds?
Answer = NO

- If no, does your law allow for "variety not stated" labeling?
Answer = YES

- Does your law allow for "variety unknown" labeling?
Answer = NO, The term never appears in the law, but as stated below, additional information is allowed as long the required info is there, in this case they would be required to say "VNS". But if they want to also say "Variety not known" that would be okay as well, albeit confusing.

- If the variety name is not declared on the label, does your law allow labeling by "crop kind" only?
Answer = NO, The law states that if the variety is not given on the label then the words "variety not stated" shall appear on the label.

- Do you allow the use of the abbreviated term "VNS" to be used in place of the phrase "variety not stated"?
Answer = YES

- What is the "TEST DATE" requirement for agricultural and vegetable seeds in your state?
Answer = Agricultural seed = 13 months; Vegetable seed = 13 months; Lawn & Turf seeds: 16 months.

- Does your state law include requirements for "Sell By"/"Packed For" vegetables, flowers and turf grass? If yes, please briefly explain.
Answer = YES, that date must be on all packages of vegetables and flowers. It is only good for 13 months.

- Does your state regulate Flower Seeds?
Answer = YES

- Does your state regulate Native/Conservation/reclamation species?
Answer = YES, as Ag seed

- Does your state law have any specific language regulating "GMOs"?
Answer = NO

- Does your state test for specific GMO varietal traits on official samples?
Answer = NO

- Does your state seed law have any "unique" or special requirements and/or prohibitions?
Answer = NO